Saturday, August 1, 2015

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice


I would have to say that throughout my life I have not experienced that many isms.  My Walden education has opened my eyes to exactly what isms are and how they influence my own opinions about different issues.  This week I am going to talk about classism.  “Classism is an attitude, action or practice of an individual or institution, backed by societal power, that gives preferential treatment to or treats as superior those with more economic resources or higher social status and treats as inferior or denies access to those with fewer economic resources or less social status” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. xi).  I have always pictured myself as a working mother.  There has never really been a time in my life where I thought I would be a stay at home mom.  I believe teaching is the perfect job because you get the same holidays off as your children and I get to spend a lot of time with them during the summer.  I do put in a lot of extra time at work during the school year but I believe it all evens itself out.  On the other hand I have often felt like my own mother wishes and believes I should stay home with my children.  My mother was not a stay at home mother while I was growing up because financially she wasn’t able to be.  There have been times when I have felt that my mother has looked down on me because of my choice not to stay at home with my children.  This feeling has also carried into my classroom.  I have wonderful families that attend my preschool but many of them are stay at home mothers.  I have great respect for stay at home mothers and sometimes feel like it would be harder than being a working mother.  Even though there are times when I feel this way there are also times when I hear stay at home mom’s complaining about what they have to get accomplished and I think you have no idea.  Try getting all of that stuff done on top of having a fulltime teaching job.  I definitely try to not let this feeling impact my teaching and I do believe I have learned to appreciate the challenges of stay at home moms and working moms.  I believe it is important to remember that we all have challenges, obligations and many goals we are trying to get accomplished whether we are doing that in a working environment, at home or both. 

Reference
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney,

    You make some really great points. On both sides being a working mother and stay at home mother both have their ups and downs. However, it is all about time management and making time for yourself, regardless of one's situation and duties. How do you think children's lives differ from living with a working mom and a stay at home mom?

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure I could say that having a working mother or a stay at home mother makes a child be a certain way but one main difference I see is the child's ability to interact with others. Many times children who have mothers that work are introduced to childcare and other adults at a very young age. These children usually have an easier time coming into my classroom and starting school. Although this is not always the case because I have had many children that have a stay at home mother and they are very comfortable around others. Usually this is true because their family has done a great job getting them involved in varies activities. For example they participate in a church, have play dates with other children or participate in a local organization such as MOPS (Mother of Preschoolers).

    ReplyDelete