Friday, July 17, 2015

Observing Communication


I often watch and listen as my eight-year-old son, Cutler, and my husband have conversations about a variety of different topics.  My husband does a great job of listening to Cutler and getting his ideas and perspective about different situations.  Many times when Cutler wants something or wants to do something my husband will not say no right away but will give Cutler a chance to explain why.  I watch my husband get on my son’s level, stop what he is doing and really listen to Cutler.  “Listening is the process of recognizing, understanding, accurately interpreting, and responding effectively to the messages you hear” (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012, p. 158).  I see Cutler’s satisfaction and eagerness to explain what he is thinking.  I can tell that Cutler really appreciates his dad’s willingness to be a good listener and I can see how it encourages effective communication between them.

My husband also does a good job asking Cutler questions.  He really challenges Cutler’s thinking about different issues by asking questions and encouraging Cutler to look at ideas from different perspectives.  One of the recent conversations I observed was when Cutler and his neighbor friend across the street wanted to have their own yard sale.  Instead of saying no right away my husband took the time to listen and ask questions about their idea.  My husband also did a good job of educating the children on what a yard sale actually involves and how much work goes into doing one.    

There are times when I need to practice my husband’s communication skills.  I know I need to be more patient and truly listen to my children instead of saying no to an idea right away.  My learning this week has reinforced the reasons for needing to be a better listener.  I also need to make sure I give my children a chance to really express their feelings and ideas before responding to them.  I know I do a much better job of this at school but I also want to be an effective communicator with my children at home.

Reference
O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

2 comments:

  1. Courtney,
    Your husband sounds like someone who really understands how to communicate with children. I love that he did not just tell your son no when he wanted to have a yard sale, but helped your son look further into what that would entail. I assume in the end your son and the neighbor made their own decision on whether or not to go ahead with the sale. This was a great way for your husband to kind of put the power back into your son's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post. I feel that it is very important for our own children to know that what they have to say is important I also feel that when we do take the time as parents or educators to communicate with children, we are meeting each child where they are and build on their strengths.

    ReplyDelete