Friday, August 7, 2015

The Sexualization of Early Childhood


As I started to read the introduction from the book So Sexy So Soon my jaw began to drop.  Even though I have noticed how girls are dressing more provocative at a much younger age and I have heard young children say things that I thought should never have come out of the mouth of a child that young, some of the stories told at the beginning of this introduction were very disturbing.  “Sexualization has to do with treating other people (and sometimes oneself) as objects of sexual desire . . . as things rather than as people with legitimate sexual feelings of their own” (Levin & Kilbourne, 2009, p. 4).  I do take notice of some of the clothing teenage girls wear as well as young preschool girls.  It is disturbing to me when I see teenage girls wear shorts that pretty much show their bottoms.  It is even more irritating to me when they wear these types of clothing to school and the school does nothing about it.  Our school district actually made a stronger dress code for students and teachers that go into affect this school year.  I am interested to see if the school really makes students or teachers change their clothes when they are dressed inappropriately.  I see preschoolers wear clothing that I feel is just too grown up for them.  If it is something a teenager would wear if it were in their size then I am not sure a preschooler needs to wear it.  I feel like we push young children to dress way above their age because parents think they look stylish and cute. 

“When people are sexualized, their value comes primarily from their sex appeal, which is equated with physical attractiveness. This is especially damaging and problematic to children and adolescents who are developing their sense of themselves as sexual beings” (Levin & Kilbourne, 2009, p. 4).  If you listen to children play in a preschool classroom you will hear them make remarks to what someone looks like and how these looks affect that person’s ability to do different things.  For example a girl might say she wants to be the cheerleader but another student will tell her you have to be pretty to be a cheerleader.  It is sad to see how much importance is placed on what people look like.  Young children watch the older children and adults in their lives place too much value on what they look like.  This can also be true when it come to dieting.  It is amazing to listen to young girls talk about going on a diet or things they will not eat because they need go on a diet.  Our society places too much value on what people look like on the outside and not enough value on what people are like on the inside. 

“The sexualization of childhood is having a profoundly disturbing impact
on children’s understanding of gender, sexuality, and relationships” (Levin & Kilbourne, 2009, p. 3).  As an early childhood educator it is extremely important to be a good model for your students.  Make sure you are dressing appropriately and professionally.  Make sure you are not only commenting on certain children’s outfits but also making sure everyone in your classroom feels special.  Make sure you model healthy eating habits and be aware that children are constantly watching what you do and say.  Also make sure you are available for your students and willing to answer their difficult questions.

The readings this week have opened my eyes to sexualization and made me want to be more aware of its implications on my young preschoolers and my own children.  I realized I had a little bit of knowledge regarding this subject but not nearly enough.  I also realized I had no idea how big of a problem this is can be and how young it can start.  This is an issue that is not going away but one that definitely needs to be addressed at an early age. 

Reference
Levin, D. E., & Kilbourne, J. (2009). [Introduction]. So sexy so soon: The new sexualized childhood and what parents can do to protect their kids (pp. 1-8). New York: Ballantine Books. Retrieved from: http://dianeelevin.com/sosexysosoon/introduction.pdf


4 comments:

  1. Courtney,
    I too was affected by the stories in the beginning of the reading, but not completely shocked. I just felt sick and very saddened by these stories because I know this is reality. You make a great point about the importance of educators providing positive models. I would love to know how your school district's new dress code policy works this year. We have a dress code for the staff in the district I teach in as well and every year we are informed of what the code is. Our administrator always tells us they are going to be more firm on the dress code, but then I see teachers and associates not following it. They continue to wear low cut shirts and I have seen some wearing clothing that is intended for working out. I am assuming the administrator is not addressing these violations because they continue to dress this way all year. I wonder if staff were informed of the implications this poor modeling can cause on the children they work with, if they might decide to follow the dress code.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your post, you said that reading the intro from So Sexy So Soon made your jaw drop. It is sad for me to say this, but I was not shocked by anything that I read. I am so used to everything mentioned in the article. In my school district, I have seen and heard it all. It’s just an unfortunate situation. I hope that one day children can go back to just enjoy being a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Courtney,

    I agree with you that we need more awareness on this issue. I did not realize what a big problem it could be either until this week. The readings opened my eyes more to the world around me. I do not watch television and I do not want to start but I miss out sometimes on what is going on with everyone else who does watch television! I agree with you that part of the problem is the way young children and teens are dressing but I think the real issue is how they feel about themselves. When the message is that they need to be "sexy" it can take away from the importance of being healthy. -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney,

    I also feel that I wasn't shocked to read this week's article as sad as that may be. Today children are learning so much more than I ever knew as a child. With media and having technology right at their fingertips I'm not surprised that children know what they know. It is sad! I almost feel that children aren't able to be children anymore because they have been exposed to so much so early. My friend has a 2 year old and she censors everything. The music my friend listens to around the house is either children's music or instrumental, there is no radio music played in the house while the toddler is around. She evens makes it a point to have adult talk be placed on mute when her daughter is around, even though she is only two she can pick up on things and she repeats everything!

    ReplyDelete