Saturday, March 28, 2015

Blog Assignment Week 4


I chose my husband, Danny, and my preschool assistant, Marilyn, to take the three tests this week.  The communication anxiety inventory was the test where our scores differed the most.  I scored in the moderate level, Danny scored me in the elevated level and Marilyn scored me in the low level.  I found these results very interesting because I believe your answers to the questions really depend on what situations you see me interact in.  I know I am not very comfortable in public speaking situations but I also feel that I do a pretty good job in these situations if I am knowledgeable about the information I am presenting.  Marilyn sees me often interact with parents and feels that in those interactions I seem confident and comfortable in my communication with them.  I would agree that usually this is comfortable for me because we are discussing information I feel knowledgeable in. 
            Danny knows me better outside of the working environment and sees my communication anxiety when it comes to talking to people I do not know or about information I am not as confident in knowing.  Danny is also the one I talk to when I know I am going to have to give a group presentation.  He then gets to hear about my discomfort of talking in front of groups. 
            In regards to the verbal aggressiveness scale Marilyn and I scored in the moderate level and Danny scored me in the significant level.  These results did not surprise me because I feel in my professional life I do a better job of maintaining a good balance between respect and consideration for others’ viewpoints.  At home I am sure there are times when Danny does not believe I do a good job of respecting and considering others’ viewpoints. 
            This week I found it interesting how your self-concept shapes your communication with others.  Your self-concept “can shape what you think of other people because your perception of others is related to how you view yourself” (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012, p. 47).  I believe all of our personalities played a role in the scores.
             
Reference

O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.


2 comments:

  1. It was interesting to see how different people involved in your life looked at you in a different manner. This just goes to show us how we portray ourselves differently, in different environments and situations. It's great to see that you have a husband that values you and supports you in life and through your professional career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you and Allison because I think this evaluation does depend of the situations you've been in personally and the people that evaluating you because we do talk to different people about certain things and when we do talk to those people about those certain topics we talk and act in a certain way either with shyness or just a different tone

    ReplyDelete