Thursday, July 9, 2015

Creating Affirming Environments


“An environment rich in anti-bias materials invites exploration and discovery and supports children’s play and conversations in both emergent and planned activities” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 43).  In my family child care program I would have a sign-in area where the parents sign the child in each day.  I liked Adriana’s idea of having an area in that sign-in where parents can say how the child slept the night before or any concerns they have about their child for that day (Laureate Education, 2011).  This helps the teacher get a better understanding of the child’s home environment and gives parents the opportunity to share how their child is doing at home.  I would include a schedule for the day’s activities.  I liked Adriana’s scheduled that included pictures for the children and parents to see (Laureate Education, 2011).  I would include pictures of the children and families from my program, which would help children, and families feel more included and involved in the program. 

I would of course have a variety of anti-bias materials.  I would have a book area with a variety of books that displayed all types of abilities and similarities and differences.  I would have a dramatic play area with a variety of clothing, food, dolls and toys.  I would have a block area with a variety of blocks and Legos.  Also there would be a variety of wooden people who came from different races with a variety of different abilities.  I would have an art area with many types of art materials.  I would have a writing center with a variety of writing materials and puzzles.  I would also have a listening center where children can listen to books and different sounds.  I would have a texture table that would include materials consisting of different textures.  All of these areas will be changed up depending on what our area of focus is for that week.

I liked Adriana’s idea of a special place for children to express their emotions (Laureate Education, 2011).  I would have an area in my program where children could go when they were have big feelings.  This would be a place where children could learn how to calm themselves down and talk about their feelings.  My program would also be covered with pictures of the children attending my program.  Children love to see themselves and their friends in pictures.  “Relationships and interactions with children and families, the visual and material environment, and the daily curriculum all come together to create the anti-bias learning community” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 51).    

References
Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.
Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). Strategies for working with diverse children: Welcome to an anti-bias learning community. Baltimore, MD: Author

2 comments:

  1. Families may truly want to get involved with their child’s education, but language may be a barrier. Pictures of the child’s schedule help parents who don’t know the language be able to see clearly what their child is doing for the day. It makes them feel connected to their child’s learning. Families should share information about their child. It helps the family childcare provider better understand the child’s needs. Having a special place for children to express their emotions is a good idea. The use of puppets could be another way to help the child express feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,
    I like the idea of the daily schedule where the parents are able to see what there children will e doing all day is a great idea. At the daycare I use to work at, we used pictures to represent the daily schedule. The children was able to tell what area the was going to next or what they will be doing next. It represents a pre-reading strategy for older children. As I stated in my blog, the look and sounds of the room reflect the family culture and daily lives of those children (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010).

    Reference
    Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.

    ReplyDelete