Saturday, June 27, 2015

What I Have Learned


As I work with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds I hope they feel acknowledged, accepted and included in my classroom.  I hope they see my desire to want to learn more about their backgrounds and incorporate that into my classroom.  I hope they feel confortable enough to be open and honest with me and willing to work with me to help educate their child. 

I believe it would be beneficial for the early childhood field to provide more professional training related to issues of diversity, equity and social justice.   This would be helpful for all professionals but especially for early childhood educators who do not see a lot of diversity in their classroom but need to be aware of it and educated about these issues.  My goal would be to encourage my school district to provide more professional training related to diversity, equity and social justice.   

Thank you to all of my colleagues for your great work during this course.  I have enjoyed reading the discussions and learning from your experiences and sharing of great information.  It is always interesting to hear what other people are thinking about different issues.    

2 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney,
    I couldn't agree more with your goal for the early childhood field. All early childhood professionals could benefit from more professional development on anti-bias education. I always enjoy reading your blog posts and discussion posts. My personal goal was similar to yours also. I hope that families and children that I work with feel welcomed and respected. -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,
    This MS program in Early Childhood Studies cannot but bring a difference in our lives and the children we are teaching. I am sure that your diverse children will certainly feel acknowledged, accepted and included into your classroom and that their families will feel welcomed and prepare to open up and share with you as they see your best intentions for their children. You are absolutely right in aspiring that all educators be offered more professional training related to diversity, equity and social justice as now I see our role is to go much beyond teaching academics only. I am glad you have chosen the same specialization as me, you have been an excellent classmate from whom I could easily relate to. Thank you for your contribution! Caroline

    ReplyDelete