Thursday, June 11, 2015

We Don't Say Those Words in Class!


 “Although children may not understand the full meaning of their biased comments, these can become the basis for more developed prejudice if adults do not respond to them” (Pelo, 2008, p. 45).  I know there have been many times when I have not responded appropriately to a child’s bias comments.  This definitely happened more prior to being a preschool teacher.  I cannot think of a specific incident but I know when my son was younger there were times when we would see a person who was extremely heavy and my son would comment “Look how big that person is!”  These comments always made me feel uncomfortable and I definitely did not want the person to hear my son say these comments.  My first response to my son would be to try and silence him.  I would tell him to be quiet or that is not nice to say.  By handling this situation in this way I was probably portraying to my son that it is not okay to talk about people’s different sizes and it may have made him feel like I was not acceptable of people that were a bigger size. 

I enjoyed hearing the response from a teacher in this week’s media segment.  When a young girl mentioned she did not want to be friends with someone because they were fat the teacher responded, “People come in many different shapes and sizes.  I have friends who are fat and friends who are thin.”  I like how the teacher used herself to portray an example of acceptance of all different sized people. 

One suggested guideline by anti-bias educator Eric Hoffman for responding to children’s curiosity that stood out for me was “Always respond – If you do not know what to say, explain that you want to answer but must first think about what to say.  Get back to the child with your response by the next day” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 33).  I think this is very important to remember.  I know there have been times when I have responded inappropriately to a child’s comment and I believe if I would have taken the time to really think about my response I would have handled the situation better.  My response would have been a much better teaching tool for the child and for myself.  I need to remind myself that it is okay not to have an answer right away.    

References

Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.

Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). Start seeing diversity: Physical ability and characteristics [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

Pelo, A. (Ed.). (2008). Rethinking early childhood education. Milwaukee, WI: Rethinking Schools.

2 comments:

  1. Courtney,

    I also had a similar experience with my daughter and have reacted the same way. We silenced them and tell them simply that it's not nice to say to someone that he/she is fat. However, such behaviour may convey unintentional bias messages to them. "Children pay close attention to how the important people in their lives feel about human differences and similarities. Children notice subtle cues and draw conclusions about issues adults do not talk about, as well as formulate ideas after picking up on emotional tension from adults" (Derman-Sparks & Olsen, 2010). Therefore I believe as anti-bias educators it is crucial to assess our own attitudes first and make a purposeful effort to expose children to diversity in all its aspects. I also agree with you we need to pay attention to how we response to children's questions.

    Reference
    Derman-Sparks, L. & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010), Anti-Bias Education For Young Children and Ourselves, NAEYC, Washington

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney,
    Thank you for sharing ideas on how to respond to children observing differences in others. How we respond to these everyday incidences is crucial to educating young children to be unbiased and open-minded. I shared a similar story to yours and responded very similarly to how you did. I think I would respond much differently now. -Mary

    ReplyDelete