Saturday, February 14, 2015

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice and Oppression


Prejudice was really brought to light for me when I read the book “The Help” and then watched the movie.  It has been many years since I have watched the movie but it was heart wrenching to see how some white people treated African Americans.  I was not born during that time so actually reading about these experiences made it much more real.  In this book the prejudice and bias against African Americans diminished all equity.  The African Americans in this book were not treated fairly.

It was embarrassing and difficult to watch some of the ways African Americans were treated.  It was even more difficult to realize that these situations really happened in our country.  As I read the book and watched the movie it made me sad and angry to see woman being treated differently just because of the color of their skin.  The part that really got to me was at the end of the book when Aibileen had to leave her job and leave the child she had been taking care of everyday.  The little white girl was about three years old and she adored Aibileen.  She preferred Aibileen over her own mother and to watch Aibileen’s sadness when she had to say goodbye was depressing.  It was even more difficult to know that all of that sadness was caused because of another woman’s hatred. 

There are many things that would need to change in the environment to turn this situation into an opportunity for greater equity.  Thankfully there were a few people who were making good choices and helping to bring equity to the situation.  Throughout the book Skeeter was a white woman who started treating African American woman appropriately and in return created an opportunity for greater equity.  Celia was another white woman in the book that did not let society’s beliefs influence her own thinking of African American woman.  Celia showed equity to her maid and in return found a strong friendship.

It was great to see the bonds these two white woman made with African American in a time in history where these bonds were not suppose to be made.  They did not let the prejudice and bias of society influence their treatment of other people.  That is an attitude more people need to possess. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts about a book depicting bias and prejudice towards the characters within. I have never read or seen the movie though I would agree with you there needs to be more people out in the world willing to make a difference. The ending of this book offers so much hope that these bonds and relationships with others of a different cultural background can happen. It shows the world they had different views of those different from them and still saw the person they were instead of following in the footsteps of others who were treating them in a very upsetting manner. These relationships that you expressed have opened the window. In a time where it seemed acceptable to treat others in this fashion, depicted in the story, these two white women were not influenced by this in their views of respecting the African Amercian woman. It makes me want to grow professionally and personally to have a relationship these 3 women had in my early childhood program with the children and families I work with on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney,

    Thank you for reminding me about "The Help." It is such a great example of a time in our history that we need to be aware of. Other books that have influenced my perception of racism, bias, and oppression are "The Diary of Anne Frank", "The Color Purple", and "The Secret Life of Bees." Books can really add the personal experiences to history that make it easier to learn from. My daughter just learned about Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks in kindergarten last month. They are wonderful examples of people who started to change things and make things right by motivating other people and not accepting racism anymore. -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Courtney,
    Thank you for sharing your post. I appreciate your comments on your blog. I can't say that I know all about racial issues black people had to go through in their lifetime. My grandmother was born in segregated times and I have heard many stories from her. I did watch the movie the help and got to see what black people had to go through. I am just glad we are in a world that has changed but we still have a long way to go. Thanks for sharing. Triana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the movie or read the book yet. Its been on my wish list for those small amounts of free time I have. I think I'll have to raise where that book/movie is on my list!! Thank you for your insight on it. I'm excited to read the book first- then watch the movie afterwards.

    ReplyDelete