Saturday, January 24, 2015

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture


I chose to interview three people.  Two were family members and one was a coworker.

1.  58 year old woman
“Your culture is your lifestyle.”
“Diversity means different, change and different skills.”

2.  50 year old woman
“Your culture is your environment, the way you grew up.”
“Diversity means different.”

3.  36 year old male
“Culture is the attitudes, norms and customs of a segment of our society.”
“Diversity is a collection of varies cultures to make up a larger society.”

Derman-Sparks and Edwards (2010) said, “culture refers to how particular groups of people live” (p. 55).  The people I talked to agreed that culture was your lifestyle and the environment you lived in.  They also believed that culture related to a group of people.  When it came to diversity I found it interesting that the two women said diversity meant different.  When I was first asked about my concept of diversity the word different was the first thing to pop into my mind.

None of the people talked about social identities.  This isn’t necessarily surprising to me because prior to this class I would not have thought of social identities.  I now know the importance of social identities and see how social identities influence your individual diversity.  Also none of the people really dug into deep culture.  I believe you really have to put some thought into understanding your deep culture.  If culture is not something you really talk about or think about you are probably not going to reach understanding your deep culture.  

After thinking about the other people’s definitions it is important to me to have a deeper understanding of culture and diversity.  My own culture is not something I have really spent much time thinking about until now and I am still realizing new ideas.  I do believe that really understanding your own culture can help you be more open to the cultures of other people.  Recognizing your own social identities can help you better understand yourself and others.   

Reference

Derman-Sparks, L., & Edwards, J. O. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

3 comments:

  1. Courtney,

    Many people understand elements of 'surface' culture but are not aware of what encompasses 'deep' culture. We therefore do not take the time to reflect on our own culture which is our social identities taking those for granted sometimes. Understanding our own culture deeper means to reflect on our own social identities to be aware of, accept and be proud of those. It is only then that we can acknowledge the cultural identities of others too and seek to know others better. Great post. Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney,
    I am also learning more and more about culture as we continue in the class. It is helping so much to analyze my own deep culture. When we started this class, I think I more thought of culture as the surface culture or the things I could see in people. I realize now how it is so much more than that. So much of our culture is unconscious and not thought of. -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Courtney
    I am also learning a lot regarding culture and diversity in this class. Thanks for your post it was very interesting. I agree that people do not talk about social identities when asked about their culture. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete