Saturday, December 20, 2014

When I Think of Research . . .


I have gained many insights from taking this course.  “Research is about uncovering and enabling the emergence of new understandings, insights and knowledge” (Mac Naughton, Rolfe, & Siraj-Blatchford, 2010, p. 3).  Questions can be answered and new questions can arise from quality research.  I have learned that quality research is research that is reliable and valid.  I learned that when you conduct research it is important to look at the risk/benefit equation.  This refers to the greater the benefit to be gained from a piece of research; the more risks are acceptable (Mac Naughton et al., 2010).  I have also learned that consent to be a research participant is essential.  It was also interesting to me to look at the guidelines for quality online research.  The importance of the guidelines and checking my online resources will be something I will remember in the future. 

In regards to planning, designing and conducting research data triangulation was a new concept for me.  It was also a concept that I found beneficial to research.  “Data triangulation involves using different sources of information in order to increase the validity of a study” (Guion, Diehl, & McDonald, 2011, p. 1).  I also learned important information regarding interviewing children in a research study.  Spending time in their classroom and having informal conversations with children are important before you try and do any formal interviews.  “It is important to take advantage of informal opportunities to elicit responses from children in unplanned conversations as well as formal interviews” (Mac Naughton et al., 2010, p. 246).  The researcher also needs to give children multiple opportunities to express their thinking through formal and informal conversations.  “The researcher who wants to interview children effectively will structure those interviews to provide multiple opportunities for children to say what they know and what they think” (Mac Naughton et al., 2010, p. 246).

One of the challenges in this course was the terminology.  I felt like the understanding research charts were helpful to really focus on different terminology and start to understand the meaning of the different words.  This course was challenging to me because there was so much new information and information that was hard for me to really wrap my mind around and fully understand.  I have a lot more respect for researchers after this course.  In my opinion there is an unlimited amount of research that can be done in the early childhood field.  It must be acknowledged that history has shown that research benefits children (Mac Naughton et al., 2010). 

References

Guion, L., Diehl, D., & McDonald, D. (2011). Triangulation:  Establishing the validity of qualitative studies.  Retrieved from http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FY/FY39400.pdf.
                                  
Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S.A., & Siraj-Blatchford, I. (2010). Doing early childhood research: International perspectives on theory and practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill. 


5 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney,
    Yes!! This research course definitely challenged us with terminology and concepts. It's great to be able to look at studies now and understand a little more about how they are conducted. It's also nice to know what to look for in regard to ethics, especially when children are involved! Congratulations on making it to the half way mark of our program! I look forward to being in more discussion groups with you in the near future and hope you enjoy a wonderful holiday with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,
    I can sympathize with you about the challenging terminology. I felt exactly the same way. I am excited to go on now and be a much more informed reader of research. Your comment here about looking at quality online research reminded me of this knowledge we gained from this class as well. I had almost forgotten about that, though I don't know why as I remember spending a great deal of time trying to find the articles I wanted use. I especially remember struggling to find an article that was not scholarly which surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Courtney,

    I definitely agree with you, research was unfamiliar to most of us and I guess we all found it challenging to come to terms with those new complex terminologies and concepts in research. However, what I most appreciated in this course was the human aspects of research and more especially when doing research with children. As you rightly said, there is a lot of things to take into account when doing research with children and this can go from getting their assent or consent to involving them as research participants from any step of the research process which can indeed be very challenging and complex. I also agree with you, doing research with children is different from doing research with adults as we also need to understand their cognitive development and getting to know them first and build a trusting relationship before engaging them into the research project. I really enjoyed your post. Good luck and hope we'll hear from each other again.

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney,
    I agree that the structure and format of the course work was helpful to understanding the new terminology.Being able to focus on one word or concept at a time and gain a understanding through the definition and application was extremely helpful in making use the the concepts within my simulation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Data triangulation was also a new concept to me. I did not know this was a way to validate research especially qualitative research. Thinking about it now it makes sense as to why data triangulation is a necessary concept. Good luck in future courses and thank you for your comments and thoughts throughout this course!

    ReplyDelete