Friday, October 17, 2014

Getting To Know The UNESCO Early Childhood Care and Education Webpage


The UNESCO Early Childhood Care and Education website is a great resource for learning about early childhood education internationally.  One of my professional goals includes having helpful resources and this is a helpful resource for early childhood education in other countries.  Another one of my professional goals includes always being able to reflect on my teaching and experiences so that I can learn and grow from them.  On this website they have a section labeled Policy Reviews.  “The aim of ECCE policy reviews is to provide countries with an opportunity to review their early childhood policies, to highlight good practices and challenges and to identify concrete measures to improve their policies” (UNESCO, 2014).  I liked how they are encourages countries to do their own reflecting to improve their policies. 

This website also contained great videos that allowed you to look inside a few other early childhood programs around the world.  These videos are interesting because you can actually see what is available and what is not available in other countries. You can also see the great work they are accomplishing in other countries.  Watching the video about the early childhood program in Northern Kenya reminded me of how privileged we are here in the United States.  We need to be reminded that we do have a lot to be thankful for and that we are doing some really great things.  Then we can focus on continuing to improve the areas that need improvement.  I also enjoyed looking at the News section and reading about different information concerning early childhood education around the world.   

Reference

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (2014).  Early Childhood Care and Education.  Retrieved from http://www.unesco.org/new/en/education/themes/strengthening-education-systems/early-childhood/

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using this as an international tool! A great resource to work on bridging the gap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney,
    I also found this website very interesting. I enjoyed learning more about what other countries are doing to improve early childhood education around the world. I agree that I found myself being thankful for what we have in the United States. I read about how although more countries are understanding the importance of early childhood education, they are still working to fund primary education and do not have the resources to invest in ECE yet. Thanks for sharing. -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney, this website has some of the most amazing international resources I have ever seen. I love the videos they have in the library tab. They are striving for educational success across the world for early childhood and they speaks volumes of the organization. There is just so much to explore on this website, I got lost a couple times navigating through the different tabs but the depth of each is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney,
    I agree this website has an abundance of interesting information that can be utilized by educators to promote learning and change in this country. I think we forget how privileged we are until we hear about the lack in other countries. Thank you for sharing. ck

    ReplyDelete