Friday, September 25, 2015

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: National/Federal Level


The first national organization that I have an interest in is the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).  I couple of years ago I had the opportunity to attend one of their conferences and it was amazing to be around so many people with a passion for early childhood education. I think it would be a great feeling to be able to go to work everyday where the passion for early childhood education is so prevalent.  A job that is open right now that interests me is Director of Quality Improvement and Program Support.  In this position you are responsible for leading the accreditation team responsible for providing technical, motivational, and process support to programs progressing through the accreditation process (National Association for the Education of Young Children, 2015).  The following are the skills and experience needed for this position:

●Strong knowledge of early childhood education content, current issues, and professional development needs and strategies.
● Extensive instructional experience and ability to deliver content through a variety of channels including training, technical assistance, coaching, peer to peer communities, and multimedia resources.
● Ability to positively influence, motivate, and engage staff and other stakeholders.
● Strong experience in program implementation support.
● Minimum 3 years supervisory experience leading staff, contractors, and/or volunteers.
● Demonstrated capacity to recruit, onboard, support, and evaluate staff.
● Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree a plus.  (NAEYC, 2015).

The second national organization that I have an interest in is ZERO TO THREE.  Their mission is to ensure that all babies and toddlers have a strong start in life” (ZERO TO THREE, 2015).  ZERO TO THREE is a national nonprofit organization that provides parents, professionals and policymakers the knowledge and the know-how to nurture early development” (2015).  This organization is appealing because they focus on helping children right from the beginning and they reach out to parents and other member of the early childhood field.  ZERO TO THREE did not have any current job openings that I was interested in but they do employee over 100 people. 

The third national organization that I have interest in is the National Head Start Association (NHSA). 

NHSA's vision is to lead - to be the untiring voice that will not be quiet until every vulnerable child is served with the Head Start model of support for the whole child, the family and the community - and to advocate - to work diligently for policy and institutional changes that ensure all vulnerable children and families have what they need to succeed. (2015). 

A job that would interest me at this association is a professional development coordinator.  The Professional Development Coordinator is responsible for coordinating various activities and functions within the professional development division of face to face events, on-line course offerings, and networks” (NHSA, 2015). 

The requirements for this job are the following:
1.     2 years of professional experience required
2.     Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
3.     Medium degree of computer knowledge
4.     High level of attention to detail and ability to work well under deadlines
5.     Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
6.     Strong verbal and written communication skills
7.     Excellent data entry, analysis skills, and customer service skills
8.     Bilingual skills preferred (Spanish)
9.     Knowledge and experience with the use of social media tools, conference and Learning Management Systems
10.  Capable of traveling to various cities within the United States and surrounding Territories

I think getting to travel to a variety of different cities and territories would be extremely interesting and exciting.  All these organizations are committed to early childhood education and working for an organization with that much commitment to early childhood education would be extremely appealing.  
References

National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). (2015). Director, quality improvement and program support.  Retrieved from https://naeyc.applicantpro.com/jobs/277560.html.

National Head Start Association (NHSA). (2015).  Retrieved from https://www.nhsa.org

ZERO TO THREE. (2015).  http://www.zerotothree.org

6 comments:

  1. Courtney,

    I enjoyed reading your post. It is indeed an honor to work for such organizations as NAEYC, Zero to Three and NHSA as they are a reference worldwide. I believe as an Early Childhood Educator and professional it is like doing our dream work as in each organization we can live our passion and contribute in making a difference in the lives of many children. Early Childhood is such a fascinating field because we can help in changing the lives of many children especially the most vulnerable ones and aspire for more social justice and equity in the world, where everyone can have a chance to a decent life. The role of Professional Development Coordinator at NHSA looks very challenging as it requires a wide range of skills and knowledge, but it also looks very interesting, which requires one to co-ordinate its various activities across states. I believe I would also be interested in such a position. Thanks for sharing. Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney,
    I agree with you that it would be an amazing opportunity to work for one of these well-known organizations in the early childhood field. NAEYC and ZERO TO THREE have been great resources to me throughout this program at Walden, and it would be an honor to say that I worked for one of them. They have influence over many early childhood professionals and they provide excellent resources for families as well. I would like to someday attend one of the NAEYC conferences like you have. It would be inspiring to be surrounded by so many people who share a passion for early childhood education. Thank you for sharing your findings. -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney,

    I enjoyed reading your post! I am familiar with some of the organizations that you posted. The job that caught my attention was the "Professional Development Coordinator." By being a teacher for over 5 years, our curriculum is constantly changing and teachers become frustrated because they are not being trained on new materials and new curriculum. Professional Development Coordinators are great with ensuring that teachers are getting the proper training they need to effectively do their job. That is something that I would definitely look into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Courtney,
    I also chose NAEYC as one of the federal organizations that I would like to work for. I was first exposed to NAEYC during my undergraduate work. It was very intriguing to hear the passion of my professors as they talked about the program during my classes. When I received my first full time job I became a member of NAEYC and I received many useful resources. I agree that it would be a great organization to be an employee of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney,
    I can only imagine what one of NAEYC conferences are like. I have been to a the state one and it was amazing. I am hoping I am able to go back one of these years. I would also love to go to the main NAEYC conference.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtney,

    I chose the job from the NAEYC site as well. I think that NAEYC would be an amazing company to work for and the Quality Improvement job is something I'm passionate about. I also think the Professional Development Coordinator job would be challenging but also very fun! I enjoy teaching children, but I also like the idea of teacher new professional or seasoned teachers new ideas and ways to build off what they are already doing.

    ReplyDelete